The Admirable Somangshu Mukherji And His Tainted American Wife is one of an ongoing series exposing the exploitation of a mentally ill American citizen by a foreign national to obtain US residency, and from that, a professorship at a prestigious US university.
As this series sadly illustrates, it’s easy for a well-credentialed and unscrupulous Green Card seeker to exploit America’s mental health crisis and its overwhelmed clinics and courts to cunningly take advantage of a mentally ill American’s desire for love, marriage and a family to secure a good life for himself. This marital chicanery can grow even more heinous when a child becomes involved and when the victimizer is abusive. It’s especially poignant when the victims are one’s own daughter and grandson. Sadly, we don’t believe their plight is unique, just underreported. The mentally ill are easily played by the unscrupulous. People tend to shun them and shrug off their complaints.
Somangshu Mukherji – The Story So Far
Somangshu Mukherji and Herkimer’s Rogue CPS Workers tells how our daughter Alexandra with our grandson Avram escaped her allegedly abusive and neglectful husband, University of Michigan Assistant Professor of Music Somangshu Mukherji, fleeing in the dead of winter to our home in Herkimer, New York, with Mukherji soon in pursuit of Avram, who is not his blood relative. It details the obvious malfeasant collusion of two Herkimer County Child Protection Workers, Sara Riente and Lisa Bates, in aiding Mukherji in his Michigan court custody case. Our daughter Alexandra’s court filings in the custody matter clearly state her alleged abuse and forced social isolation by Mukherji, and his alleged neglect of Avram.
Somangshu Mukherji’s Raid details the happenings during Somangshu Mukherji’s supposed parental visit to Herkimer and why I believe that visit was just a foiled attempt to grab Avram and head back to Michigan. Our daughter’s certified Michigan court filings, which I rely upon for much of this series’ narrative, are embedded in that post.
Having won custody of our grandson in the Ann Arbor Family Court, Mukherji came to Herkimer to collect the lad, on the cheap. How that was done and why it was illegal was captured on video and is told in A Herkimer Kidnapping – Somangshu Mukherji and the Herkimer Sheriff.
“His victory secured, Somangshu Mukherji set out on a cruel vendetta to prevent his American wife from ever again seeing the son he’d taken from her.”
Somangshu Mukherji’s Cruel Vendetta Begins
With our grandson safely recaptured and recloistered, and the two of them living in new, nicer digs near U. Mich Ann Arbor, you’d think Professor Mukherji would settle back, get to know his wife’s son, and savor the fruits of his victory. He’d certainly earned it, given the amount of billable legal hours he must have racked up winning his case. (He filed about 130 pages of legal briefs with the Michigan court, plus all the attendant hearings, consultations, motions and consultant expenses.) But no. His victory secured, Somangshu Mukherji set out on a cruel vendetta to prevent his American wife from ever again seeing the son he’d taken from her.
Buying A Friend – The Friend of the Court
Mukherji met with his attorney and a social worker certified as a Friend of the Court (FOC) Evaluator and Mediator, most likely recommended by his attorney and paid for by Somangshu. Out of their meeting came a convenient official document, a Michigan Friend of the Court Proposed Recommendation and Final Order. Our daughter was notified to attend telephonically, but skipped the event, believing that any gathering of her husband and his hirelings is inevitably the Somangshu Mukherji Hour. She was right.
“A process…designed to fulfill the child visitation wishes of affluent parents who can afford to pay their way to a fast and favorable ruling.”
The FOC document has the brassy ring of Mukherji’s previous court custody filings, which our daughter’s Michigan custody filings characterized as “self-aggrandizing twaddle.” The proposed visitation change order marshaled a host of unfounded allegations, cited them as facts and drew the desired conclusions from them.
The Recommendation and Final Order is key to a process seemingly designed to fulfill the child visitation wishes of affluent parents who can afford to pay their way to a fast and favorable ruling. It spares a busy family court judge the tedium of having to weigh competing arguments by accepting and rubber-stamping a monied parent’s Proposed Order. It’s especially effective when the other parent has no attorney and so refuses to participate in the charade.
The Admirable Somangshu Mukherji and His Tainted American Wife
Here are some of the more outrageous portions of the Friend of the Court mediator’s basis for the Proposed Order:
- “[Our daughter] is driven by false beliefs against Somangshu’s treatment of her and other delusions.” (page 4)
- Her son’s “main bond [of love and affection] is through Somangshu.” (page 4)
- “Recent text messages from Alexandra to [Somangshu] which appeared delusional” (Page 8) (More correctly: text messages from Alexandra’s account to which Somangshu allegedly has access.)
- Our grandson lost weight loss while with us in New York; (He gained weight.) p. 7
- “Maltreatment is not an issue while Avram resides with his father.” p.8 (Why?)
- “New York CPS finding…spoke to physical and medical neglect [of Avram]” CPS found all of Mukherji’s heinous allegations against our daughter and us “unfounded.” p. 9 And we called out the malfeasant child protection workers who colluded with him.
- If our daughter were to return to Somangshu, court-ordered supervision of her with her son should be replaced by supervision by Somangshu and his mother. (page 3) [Really]
- “Interactions between Somangshu and Alex are tainted by the products of her mental illness.” (“Tainted,” like meat? Not a clinical term, but Victorian English of the sort one might hear at Oxford.)
- “…false beliefs she carries when symptomatic [are] delusions which accuse Somangshu of harm against her.” p.7 (“Professor Mukherji argued that his wife fled him because she was psychotic and a danger to his son. He offered as proof the fact that she had left him.” My perspective on the gist of Mukherji’s voluminous child custody pleadings.)
- Domestic Violence Category- “Not raised as relevant…”p. 7 [Of course not.] The social worker’s evaluation extolled Somangshu Mukherji’s selfless conduct throughout his marital ordeals as “admirable…admirable… admirable…” (p. 9) It goes on and on. Here’s a copy. I’ve highlighted its most egregious bits.
Loving Mother Stripped of Visitation Rights
The Friend of the Court evaluation argued that “the product”of our daughter’s mental illness, other than the delusion that her husband was abusive, was abuse and neglect of her son, to whom it implied she posed an inherent danger, as attested to solely by husband Somangshu Mukherji. Its Proposed Order recommended therefore that she be stripped of all visitation rights with her son, until she presented herself to the Friend of the Court in Ann Arbor for psychiatric evaluation, with evidence of ongoing psychiatric care to include her treatment plan. Following its assessment, The Friend of the Court would, if merited, support an order to modify the visitation order. (p.9) More hearings might be required, of course. With Somangshu and his lawyer notified.
Here’s the order, signed as always for Mukherji by reliable Ann Arbor Judge Julia B. Owdziej:
- Cruel, Malicious and Transparently Contrived
Following on the heels of his child custody victory, Somangshu Mukherji moved to crush any hopes Avram’s mother had of ever seeing her son again. It was a gratuitously cruel act, accomplished through the transparently contrived device of a tainted document. It reeks of malice.
Mukherji’s false avowals of concern and love for his wife, scattered throughout his judicial proceedings, are especially odious, given the lie by his own recent vile actions and a restraining order:
As for our daughter, she’s understandably bereft. She and Avram had been together, virtually alone, for the three years since his birth. Somangshu gave the kid even less attention than he did resources, alleges our daughter in her court filings: “not a dime.”
Mukherji’s spiteful behavior continues. He won’t even let Avram’s mother talk to her son on the phone. Discouraged, she doesn’t try that often. Yesterday’s attempt was typical. “Can I speak to Avram?” “See a doctor,” snarled Mukherji, hanging up.
11/1/2021 – Mukherji is no longer a professor at the University of Michigan. Or seemingly anywhere else. He alleges through his legal team that my postings caused the U.Mich Provost to deny him tenure. Oh! The power of the septuagenarian rural blogger!
The author of this work hereby waives all claim of copyright (economic and moral) in this work and immediately places it in the public domain; it may be used, distorted or destroyed in any manner whatsoever without further attribution or notice to the creator.